The Bible is the Holy Scripture, the Word of God written, and is the only sufficient, certain, and infallible rule of all saving knowledge, faith and obedience. The authority of the Holy Scripture, on which it ought to be believed and obeyed, depends not upon the testimony of any man, but it is to be received because it is the Word of God. The whole counsel of God concerning all things necessary for His own glory, man’s salvation, faith and life is either expressly set down in Scripture, or by good and necessary inference deduced from Scripture. The infallible rule of interpretation of Scripture is the Scripture itself. Questions concerning the true and full sense of any Scripture (which is not manifold but one) must be searched and known by other places in Scripture that speak more precisely. Being self-attesting Truth which is plenary and verbally inspired by God, the assertions of Scripture are historically and scientifically inerrant and infallible in all the original autographs, as we know them today.
The chronology as recorded in Genesis 1-11 is historical truth. Therefore it follows that:
- The “days” of the creation week were all of like duration (the succession of an evening and a morning, i.e. a period of daylight and a period of darkness with no gaps), were six in number, and were culminated in a seventh day which, being of like duration as the preceding days, was a Sabbath rest to the Lord and to creation, thus constituting a normal, typical week consisting of seven solar-type days.
- The genealogies in Genesis 5 and 10 are contiguous and accurately represent the age of the earth, thus limiting the age of the universe to several thousand years.
- The flood described in Genesis, commonly referred to as the Flood of Noah, was an historic event, and was worldwide in its extent and effect. Only eight human beings out of the entire human population survived the deluge by means of the ark. Many geological features, commonly attributed to evolution over eons of time, provide global evidence for this universal catastrophic flood.
All basic types of living things, including man, were made by direct creative acts of God during the six days of creation described in Genesis. Biological changes occurring since creation are only variations within the original created kinds.
- God created man, (male and female, perfect physical specimens), with reasonable and immortal souls. Man, being created in the image of God, possessed knowledge, righteousness, and true holiness.
- Our first parents, Adam and Eve of Genesis 1, by their sin, fell from original righteousness and communion with God, and we in them. Thereby, death came upon all. The guilt of sin was spiritually imputed, and the corrupted physical nature was conveyed to their posterity descending from them by ordinary generation. Original and actual sin, and not the general theory of organic evolution, accounts for the misery and suffering in the world today. Therefore, man needs the Savior, not an endless succession of eons, to deliver him from his sin and misery.
God is a spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable in the totality of His being. Eternally existing in three persons (the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit), these three are one God, the same in substance, equal in power and glory.
The only Redeemer of God’s elect is the Lord Jesus Christ who, being the eternal Son of God, became man, and so was, and continues to be, God and man in two distinct natures, yet one person forever.