This week, the CSG Weekly Discussion Groups reviewed Dr John Sandford‘s talk on How Evolution Hurst Science. Next week we will finish the lecture. This week we discussed the way that many debates between creationists and evolutionists, in particular court cases, are frame as a contest between faith and science. This false dichotomy equates the scientific research performed by creationists to religion and evolutionary science as “real” science. Framing the debate this way allows evolutionists to changing the conversation to a contest between religion and science, the separation between church and state.
Dr Sandford proposes a different strategy; Faith vs Faith / Science vs Science. In this approach we recognize that the theory of evolution relies on “faith” propositions that cannot be supported by science, making it religious in nature. Dr Sandford identifies 5 presuppositions of evolutionary theory. None of them has a scientific foundation.
- A spontaneous universe, a universe of matter and energy appearing out of nothing.
- Spontaneous life; life from lifeless matter and energy.
- Spontaneous ascent; life progresses from simple to complex
- Spontaneous intelligence; life acquires intelligence from purely chemical materials
- Spontaneous truth; the belief that intelligent life will automatically discover truth (we might also add right and wrong, beauty, logic, math, and other non-material traits common to humans)
Science vs Science means that when debating evolutionists, do not allow them to bring religion into the debate. Anything about beliefs is a separate topic. Keep a wall between discussions about faith and discussions about science. Focus back on the science, insisting on empirical research as much as possible. For example, even evolutionists have realized that mutation and natural selection cannot be the mechanism for evolution, that stars cannot form in space (or planets, galaxies, or galaxy clusters), that 50 years of intense research into the origin of life has yielded no possible means of making life from chemicals by chance, and that math, logic, morality, and thought in general are not properties or products of matter and energy.
Real science confirms the Bible.